Clean tech companies are leading the promise of a better tomorrow in Carlsbad and around the world. Renewable energy products, energy efficiency, clean power generation, and energy storage are just a few of the specialties in this cluster of businesses.
Carlsbad is home to a number of innovative companies that are doing extraordinary things in the clean tech industry. Companies like Poseidon Water, the largest desalination plant in the western hemisphere, are creating jobs and putting Carlsbad on the map. Poseidon’s desalination plant provides the only supply of water in San Diego county that is not dependent on snow-pack and rainfall.
Clean tech Quick Facts:
Carlsbad works to innovate Clean Technology practices that benefit a sustainable future.
- This industry provides over 620 jobs.
- The average annual salary is $145,000.
- In 2016, there were 26 total Clean Technology businesses in Carlsbad.
- Green building and construction growth advances the triple bottom line.
- There have been 44 patents issued between 2008-2016.
- 4.1 times more patents issued from 2012-2016 than the previous five years combined.
- 34% of the patents issued to Clean Technology businesses in Carlsbad between 2012-2016 have been issued in 2016 alone.
What Are Some The Major Types Of Cleantech?
Cleantech includes but is not limited to renewable energy (wind power, solar power, biomass, hydropower, biofuels), green transportation, electric motors, green chemistry, lighting, greywater, and many other appliances that are now more energy efficient. Most cleantech companies have the goal of creating abundant resources, for human usage, that has less impact on the local, regional and world environment.
Notable companies: 3E Company – Air Products & Chemicals – Alternative Energy Systems Consulting – Calsense – Carlsbad Solar – EcoDirect – Enviance – Everyday Energy – Myron L Co – NRG Solar – Poseidon Water – RQ Construction – San Diego County Solar – Semper Solar – Sunpro Solar – UTS BioEnergy – Verdzyne
Sources: U.S Census, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 2017 Business Survey