Carlsbad clean technology companies are leaders in sustainability, innovation and green solutions. Renewable energy products, energy efficiency, clean power generation, and energy storage are just a few of the specialties in this cluster of businesses.
Carlsbad is home to a number of innovative companies that are doing extraordinary things in the clean technology industry. Companies like Poseidon Water, the largest desalination plant in the Western Hemisphere, are creating jobs and putting Carlsbad on the map. Poseidon’s desalination plant provides the only supply of water in San Diego County that is not dependent on snow-pack and rainfall.
Clean Technology Quick Facts:
Carlsbad works to innovate clean technology practices that benefit a sustainable future.
- This industry provides over 500 jobs.
- The average annual salary is $140,000.
- In 2017, there were 21 total clean technology businesses in Carlsbad.
- Green building and construction growth advances the triple bottom line.
- 65 patents issued between 2008-2017.
- Four times more patents issued in the last five years than the previous five years combined.
- 38% of the patents between 2013 and 2017 were issued in 2017 alone.
What is Clean Technology?
Clean technology includes but is not limited to renewable energy (wind power, solar power, biomass, hydropower, biofuels), green transportation, electric motors, green chemistry, lighting, greywater, and many other appliances that are now more energy efficient. Most cleantech companies have the goal of creating abundant resources, for human usage, that has less impact on the local, regional and world environment.
Notable companies: Anaergia – Air Products & Chemicals – Alternative Energy Systems Consulting – Calsense – Carlsbad Solar – EcoDirect – Enviance – Everyday Energy – Myron L Co – NRG Solar – Poseidon Water – RQ Construction – San Diego County Solar – Semper Solar – UTS BioEnergy – Verisk 3E – Versum Materials
Sources: U.S Census, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 2017 Business Survey